Director, Sustainability Consulting EMEA
BSR is hiring a Sustainability Consulting Director who will be part of BSR's global Sustainability Management practice and responsible for building and leading BSR's work with companies headquartered in EMEA.
BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 280 member companies to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s nearly 30 years of leadership in sustainability.
We are proud to have a team of some of the industry’s most talented and motivated people working on sustainability in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
BSR partners with leading international organizations and companies to advance our major priorities, which include building net zero value chains and climate-resilient communities and increasing corporate leadership on sustainability. We catalyze business action by delivering insight, solutions, and collaborations.
The Director, Sustainability Consulting, EMEA will be responsible for building and leading BSR’s work with companies headquartered in EMEA, with a particular emphasis on French companies. This role may include a focus on working with companies in the following industries: financial services, industrial and utilities, manufacturing, and energy and extractives. The work will span across focus areas such as sustainability strategy, human rights, and inclusive economy.
The Director will be part of BSR’s global Sustainability Management practice and work closely with the team to develop business opportunities and to deliver consulting projects that provide high value to BSR members as well as non-member companies interested in improving their sustainability performance.
- Consulting Services and Project Directorship: The Director will play a leading role in delivering consulting services to member and non-member companies across a range of sectors in EMEA, with a particular focus on the French market. The Director will provide oversight—and often hands-on support—for the delivery of best-in-class consulting services to companies. The Director will typically oversee 7-10 ongoing projects at any one time, working actively with project teams, and providing thought partnership to project managers.
- Business Development and Member Engagement: The Director will be responsible for recruiting new member companies, deepening relationships with business leaders in EMEA-based companies, and developing new business opportunities across the region. The Director will be responsible for driving revenue generation in partnership with BSR’s global industry and area of expertise The Director will draw from an established set of BSR tools and cases to facilitate these business development activities. In addition, the Director will serve as an account relationship manager for 5-8 global companies headquartered in EMEA, most likely in the financial services, industrial and utilities, manufacturing, transportation, and/or energy and extractives sectors. The Director may also be required to provide services to companies in other sectors/locations according to business needs.
- External Representation: The Director will represent BSR to external audiences in EMEA, particularly in France, by presenting at relevant industry conferences; demonstrating thought leadership through writing and publishing blogs, reports, etc.; forming beneficial external relationships and partnerships; and proactively working to create opportunities to raise the profile of BSR more broadly.
- Master’s degree in business, law, public policy, environmental management, or other relevant discipline required.
- Track record of success in business development, client/relationship management, and exercising influence with senior leaders.
- Significant business / consulting experience (at least 12-15 years) required to perform the key functions of a consulting leader, including: developing and maintaining senior-level client relationships; pursuing and creating business opportunities; and overseeing multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Significant experience working with, or in, at least one of the following sectors: financial services, industrial and utilities, manufacturing and/or energy and extractives.
- Proven experience working with the French market, knowledge and understanding of French and European relevant regulation (e.g. Devoir de Vigilance), existing network of contacts.
- Deep knowledge and experience in key sustainability content areas, such as: sustainability management and strategy, human rights, or inclusive economy.
- Knowledge and experience related to business processes such as strategic planning, organizational development, training programs, performance management, change management, etc.
- Proven leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor other team members to improve skills and effectiveness.
- Outstanding verbal, written, and facilitation skills.
- Proven leadership and management skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor other team members.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Language skills: Fluency in English and French required, additional language skills a strong plus.
- Willingness to undertake up to 25% business travel post COVID.
- Collaborative mindset and the intellectual agility to work with companies across various industries, and with colleagues who are expert on other sustainability issues.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of Leadership, Respect and Integrity.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation.
BSR is committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. As a global organization, BSR strives to represent a culmination of different perspectives, backgrounds, cultures, and ideas. BSR encourages employees to be themselves and share their unique stories, as these initiatives foster a global environment of creativity, forward thinking, and open-mindedness. These values drive the innovative work of our staff and support BSR’s overarching mission to build a just and sustainable world.
At BSR, discrimination because of age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by regional laws, is not condoned. BSR strives to maintain a fair and inclusive working environment. Thus, these factors do not influence recruitment, performance management processes, and project assignments. BSR aims to support necessary accommodations and has a zero-tolerance policy for discriminatory behavior and retaliation in response to the needs of our employees.
Interested? Find out more here: Job Application for Director, Sustainability Consulting EMEA at BSR (greenhouse.io) or on BSR's career site: Sustainability Careers | BSR